Monday, December 6, 2010

Accident Continued...

I'm going to continue the accident night story, but no promises on finishing it.

The EMTs took me out of the car first. That wasn't fun. Every little bump hurt. They picked me up and slid me onto a board. They put me on top of a stretcher and then rolled me into the ambulance. They were trying to figure out where they were taking everyone. At first they were going to put us both in ambulances and have a kid in each one. Then they determined that they needed life-flight for Brad. Then I heard them talking about another man and where to put him. A guy came by looking for a "consent for refusal of treatment." So there was one person who was somewhat unhurt. Eventually they brought Will and Carissa into the ambulance in their car seats. They just cut them right out of the car. I had to answer lots of questions about who was who and what were our date of births. They must have lots of paper work to fill out. Then they started talking about the fatality. This was the first time I realized someone had died. The main guy in charge got us all in and buckled down and he told the driver, ok, run this thing hot to the hospital (I guess that means fast with sirens on.) He was able to start an IV on me and give me some pain medication. The kids were quiet and calm. Everyone kept asking them if they were hurting anywhere. Carissa really didn't understand how to answer, but I suppose if she were really hurting she would have let us know. All of the EMTs, people at the scene and at the hospital were great with the kids. I was able to call my Dad and stepmom back while we were in the ambulance. I told them Brad was heading to Parkland and they told me they were already heading to Corsicana. They called Bruce, Brad's brother and asked him to tell Brad's parents what was going on. We arrived at Navarjo Regional hospital in Corsicana. They finished cutting on most of my clothes (including a sweater I had just bought the day before!)...the EMTs had already started that in the ambulance. They brought the kids inside still in their car seats. I was taken to get CT scans on my abdomen and head and an XRay on my leg and foot. They did an Xray on Carissa's head. The CT scan on me was clear and the XRay showed a broken ankle. Later that night they realized they had not taken XRays of my foot, so they wheeled in a machine and did that...and, yes, it was broken too. Carissa's head checked out A-OK. As doctors and nurses came in and out they would say hi and bye to the kids. Carissa would say in a cute voice, "Bye, Bye Mister!" no matter if it was a man or woman. Will likes to call me masculine names...he thinks he's a comedian. He called me Daddy forever and lately it's been Mister and his sister caught on. Everyone thought they were just too cute. I was just so thankful Will wasn't calling anyone "Cha, Cha Booty-Head." He says that a lot to his little guy friends and to his sister.

My parent's came during all of the CT scans and Xrays and I was glad to have them there with the kids. My Dad was able to go to the van at the car compound and thankfully the guy let him get all of our stuff. We had a lot of stuff since we were gone for 5 days. When he returned we headed to Weatherford. It was wierd to not be with Brad, but I knew everyone needed to get their rest and that Brad was in good hands. My Mom and Step-Dad were there with him. I wouldn't learn until the next day what his injuries were for sure, but I knew they were in his legs and that he was alert and conscious which helped me to rest a little easier that night.

I'll pick up here next time. Brad just got a sleeping pill and we are going to turn out the lights.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing all the details, Amy. I am just continually so thankful that Will and Carissa were basically unharmed. I am so impressed that they were so calm throughout the experience. I think it is a result of the peace and security that they have in their life. Its also evidence of God's spirit with you all.

When its convenient for you (like when your leg's not wrapped in plastic and you're not in a towel :) would you please call me. I have some admin questions.
Love y'all!

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I forgot to leave my name on my previous comment!
Beth

Janie said...

My heart is in my throat right now as I read the details of your accident and think about you and Brad and the kids. Praise the Lord for his protection over you all. Praise the Lord that all of you are going to be okay and I will be praying for continued healing and rest for you and Brad. When you get back to Houston, please call if you need help in any way. Billy and I as so close and you can call ua at any time. You and Brad are such a blessing to us and to our church.
Love y'all,
Janie