The night after I sent the last post Brad slept really well and did not have any nightmares. He also did not have a fever. Those were all a big answers to the prayer requests we posted! Brad had lots of physical therapy and occupational therapy yesterday. My dad and step-mom brought the kids to the hospital. It's hard for them to see Brad in the hospital bed and struggling to get around. I came home with them so I can get a shower and refreshed. I'd like to go back up and stay with Brad. It's good for us to be together and it's helpful for Brad to have someone there to take his calls and help with little things. It can get lonely in that hospital room, so I think it's just good to have the company...and the kind where you can just be there together and there's no need talk or have conversation all of the time.
Brad didn't sleep as well last night and he did have a slight fever before bed time. They did run some tests to make sure the fever isn't because of infection or other concerns. It may just be the way his body is responding to the trauma.
Today was the projected date for his big surgery on his left leg. No word on that as 10am this morning. It's easy to become restless and want the surgery to happen now, just so we can move forward. I was reading articles on his injury last night and they all seem to say how the swelling/soft tissue damage must be reduced in order to do the surgery or it could just cause more harm than do any good. That helped me to understand why the surgery needs to wait. As soon as Brad can move from his bed to the wheelchair and into some vehicle (probably a non-emergency ambulance) then they will send him home. They will help order the equipment we would need to have at home (Weatherford) and any home health staff for him to be able to be released. I was hoping this would all happen after surgery, but I realize now that may not happen and may not be best. It's hard not to be anxious about all of the details. Brad needs so much help at the hospital and usually from very strong men, that I just cannot imagine him in a home setting with a helpless wife and 2 small children. Then we would also have to think about getting him to and from doctor appointments in Dallas (1.25 hours away.) If I think about it too long I'm tempted to go into full blown panic. I have to make myself stay in the moment and just say to myself, "one step at a time."
This morning Will was talking about the wreck and asking questions about how his daddy got hurt and about how I got hurt. He said, "I was really frustrated when the wreck happened." We talked through that a little bit and I told him about God's angels protecting us. I reminded him that one day we would all be fixed and back in our home in Houston, that daddy's legs would work again and that my leg was going to get all better. We talked about the blessings that have come, like getting to stay with our family for a long visit and getting to help feed all the animals everyday with Nana and Granddad. He agreed that those things have been good. I'm glad he will talk to me about everything and I can have a little glimpse into what he is thinking and feeling. Will came into my room and was standing by my bed. He started drumming on my cast, which doesn't hurt if he doesn't do it too long. Carissa came in and saw him and her little forehead got all wrinkled...a concerned look and almost an angry look, like "what do you think you're doing?" I assured her it was ok, that it didn't hurt me and she lightened up. I told her she could do it too, but she wouldn't. She came over and gently pet my cast. She is a nurturer and has such a sweet maternal instinct. Yesterday when they were at the hospital I leaned my head over on her. She stroked my hair, and was saying something like "there, there, it's going to be ok." She sang a little bit of rock-a-bye baby and kept kissing my forehead. I could have done that all day. My heart is still melting just thinking about it. She truly is a sweet soul. As she watches me hobble along, she'll ask "you ok?"
Brad didn't sleep as well last night and he did have a slight fever before bed time. They did run some tests to make sure the fever isn't because of infection or other concerns. It may just be the way his body is responding to the trauma.
Today was the projected date for his big surgery on his left leg. No word on that as 10am this morning. It's easy to become restless and want the surgery to happen now, just so we can move forward. I was reading articles on his injury last night and they all seem to say how the swelling/soft tissue damage must be reduced in order to do the surgery or it could just cause more harm than do any good. That helped me to understand why the surgery needs to wait. As soon as Brad can move from his bed to the wheelchair and into some vehicle (probably a non-emergency ambulance) then they will send him home. They will help order the equipment we would need to have at home (Weatherford) and any home health staff for him to be able to be released. I was hoping this would all happen after surgery, but I realize now that may not happen and may not be best. It's hard not to be anxious about all of the details. Brad needs so much help at the hospital and usually from very strong men, that I just cannot imagine him in a home setting with a helpless wife and 2 small children. Then we would also have to think about getting him to and from doctor appointments in Dallas (1.25 hours away.) If I think about it too long I'm tempted to go into full blown panic. I have to make myself stay in the moment and just say to myself, "one step at a time."
This morning Will was talking about the wreck and asking questions about how his daddy got hurt and about how I got hurt. He said, "I was really frustrated when the wreck happened." We talked through that a little bit and I told him about God's angels protecting us. I reminded him that one day we would all be fixed and back in our home in Houston, that daddy's legs would work again and that my leg was going to get all better. We talked about the blessings that have come, like getting to stay with our family for a long visit and getting to help feed all the animals everyday with Nana and Granddad. He agreed that those things have been good. I'm glad he will talk to me about everything and I can have a little glimpse into what he is thinking and feeling. Will came into my room and was standing by my bed. He started drumming on my cast, which doesn't hurt if he doesn't do it too long. Carissa came in and saw him and her little forehead got all wrinkled...a concerned look and almost an angry look, like "what do you think you're doing?" I assured her it was ok, that it didn't hurt me and she lightened up. I told her she could do it too, but she wouldn't. She came over and gently pet my cast. She is a nurturer and has such a sweet maternal instinct. Yesterday when they were at the hospital I leaned my head over on her. She stroked my hair, and was saying something like "there, there, it's going to be ok." She sang a little bit of rock-a-bye baby and kept kissing my forehead. I could have done that all day. My heart is still melting just thinking about it. She truly is a sweet soul. As she watches me hobble along, she'll ask "you ok?"
Prayer Requests:
Good sleep for Brad
Fever to stay away
Swelling to go down
Less anxiousness over details of timing/discharge/surgery
Brad has a hard time answering a lot of calls, so if you can email him instead of call, that would probably be best. If you want to talk to him, ask him to call you when he can. I think that would be less stressful than hearing the phone ringing.
0 comments:
Post a Comment